Friday, December 12, 2008

If You're Glad it's Christmas time say "Ho, Ho!"

It is now official. I have entered the world of Christmas programs. Isabelle had her very first Christmas program yesterday... her debut. At three years old it was pretty much hysterical as well as quick. Nonetheless, the church where her preschool is held was packed to the rafters (literally, the choir loft was full) with parents, grandparents, and siblings all anxious to watch their own "little person" in their moment of glory.

And sure enough, Isabelle paraded out in her brand new jumper and black ballet slippers, sporting a Santa hat that was crammed onto her head in such a fashion that I had a flash of her as a cross between Happy and Dopey of the Seven dwarfs (something with her big round cheeks and the way she was walking and her grin, big enough to light up the church by herself) Standing right in the middle of her fellow classmates, she sang all three of her songs, "Jingle, jingle," "Hat, whiskers, belt, and boots," and "If you are glad it's Christmas time say Ho, Ho!" She even did little bows in between the songs.

Of course, I turned into the typical fool of a parent and waved at her like an idiot, semi-stood to get pictures, craned my neck in various directions, oohed and aahed, clapped enthusiastically, and totally and utterly failed to even notice any of the other children at all. I had eyes only for my Isabelle. The whole program lasted maybe seven minutes. And it was totally worth it.

Our kids can turn us into complete morons and what perhaps is even better is that we do not mind in the slightest ...... so, what if you think I am a complete geek? I was watching my daughter sing about Christmas, and she is only going to be three once, right? Besides, someday when she is like twenty-six I am going to tease her about how big her cheeks looked with that Santa hat mashed on her noggin and how proud she was of herself standing up there (and then she is going to rip on me because I am going to get teary-eyed remembering it) and it will be great because that is what Christmas should be all about anyway. So, there is another really good Christmas memory to file away.

Tree Update: Will wonders never cease? For the first time since Isabelle entered this world our tree has thus far remained in the upright position without once taking a nosedive (pause to knock on all wood at hand) May I add that it is a truly beautiful tree this year, we picked exceptionally well, and I am remaining cautiously optimistic that all will be fine (barring any assaults upon the tree by the cats or Isabelle, of course.)

No comments: