Sunday, February 15, 2009

This is So Cool!

"Hello, I'm going flying today."
"Look at the airplane!"
"This is so cool!"
"Is it big?"
"Are we gonna get on it?"
"Is it gonna go fast?"
"Is this the runway?"
"Wheeeeee!"
"Mom! Look! Do you see the clouds? Mom! Look! Do you see the lake? Do you see the ice?!"

And, so went the first flight Isabelle took from Escanaba to Detroit. To say she liked it would be an understatement. Upon landing she declared to me that she now knew as much about planes as Papa Bob and and that they were "way cool." I was glad considering we dragged her onto two more connecting flights that day to end up in Gulf Shores, Alabama.

She was a rock star for both flights, buckling her belt, vying for the window seat, grinning like a madwoman when the plane would accelerate down the runway, and waiting for the drink cart to come by so she could snag some juice to drink. I told her it was just like Rocket on the "Little Einsteins" and she loved that idea and said we were blasting off. Not once was she fearful. In fact, I had to laugh at her for when we hit a little turbulence on our way to Atlanta, she was annoyed that her portable DVD player was sliding a little bit on the tray table and wouldn't stay still. Kids twice her age were eyeing their parents when the plane would bump and she was mad cause her movie was bouncing! I taught her to plug her nose and swallow to make her ears pop or to chew some gum when we landed and took off, but by our last flight of the day she was a veteran.

Isabelle also had the third plane in hysterics. Clay was separated from us by several seats and as everyone was getting settled it was all quiet on the plane and Isabelle called out, "How ya doing up there, Daddy?" (Half the plane erupted in laughter. I said to her, I am sure he is fine Isabelle, please use your inside voice as the whole plane heard you) "I was just talking to my fadder, Mom" (more laughter from everyone around us). The whole flight went this way with Isabelle occasionally calling "messages" up to Clay like "I love you" and "we'll come get you when the plane lands." When we were disembarking I heard a lady remark that Isabelle had "made" her flight for her and it went so fast. My three year old, the stand up comedian.

All in all, I am glad it was a good experience for her and a fun one. I can only hope our return flight will go as smoothly!

No comments: