Friday, June 18, 2010

Isabelle's Party

While it may seem like it, I did not fall off the face of the earth (though it seems I am not alone in neglecting my blog, as many of my favorites have also not been updated in many weeks). No, true to form, summer mode has arrived and as I settle in, I find it difficult to spare a moment long enough to write or when I do I would quite frankly, rather be outside then on the computer. I suppose I need to revert back to carrying my journal around once more and use good old pen and paper.

Regardless, life found me last weekend hosting my first ever kids' birthday party as Isabelle officially turned five. Picture eight children invading my house in a flower/garden party theme, numerous adults, an abundance of food and gifts, and you get the idea. The weather was less then ideal but did manage to not rain us out. Therefore, we still did do our watering can game and our bug hunt outside, but we were forced to pot the marigolds I got for each child in the garage when it decided to start misting a light rain. Of course, in my mind I envisioned a sunny, glorious day with adults in lawn chairs and the kids spread out on a blanket while Isabelle opened her presents .... reality was them crammed into my too small upstairs living room. However, the flower cupcakes my mother made were adorable, the kids all seemed to have a great time and enjoyed getting to keep the watering cans, buckets, marigolds and bugs from the games they played, and despite the crazy stressing I put myself through, it all came out fine in the end.

When I tucked one exhausted daughter into bed that night she told me that she wished she could have a party just like that every day. Earlier, while zooming around on her new scooter from Grandma and Grandpa, she informed Clay that it was the "best day ever." So, I guess that sums it up for me right there. It was all worth it. After all, they are only little for so long and while some of this party craziness may seem like a hassle, it will not be long when I will be looking back on this fifth birthday with very fond memories.

1 comment:

Sarah Fitzpatrick said...

Lovely! It sounds like a wonderful 5th birthday! We just had Willa's second birthday party with just both sets of grandparents, her little best friend Olivia with her parents, and some zoo animal cupcakes and balloons! So much fun. They are precious times, definitely!