Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Christmas Joy

With only a few days left until Christmas I remarked to my father just last night that it was quite possible Isabelle's head might just explode right of off her shoulders from all of the excitement contained therein. The child has been something akin to a loaded stick of dynamite for the entire month of December, her little body a time bomb, bursting with enough positive energy, joy, enthusiasm, and Christmas mania to power a small city.

I have often thought if people who are sad around this time of year or live alone could just "rent" a kid for a couple of hours to remind them what a thrill it is this time of year before the big fat man arrives, then no one would be depressed. For instance, I just returned from my grocery shopping today armed with carrots, as my daughter requested, for after visiting with Santa at her school last week, she informed me the reindeer could not possibly eat anything else. Why you ask? "Because Mom, Santa said that candy and sugar will make the reindeer do loop-de-loops with the sleigh." (this said with a very serious and solemn face). So, this house will be leaving carrots out for the reindeer this year.

As another pocket on the advent calendar is opened, I try to remind myself not to let the days just slip by unnoticed, to not get lost in the business of wrapping and baking and rushing that comes with the holidays. All too soon this Christmas will be behind me and Isabelle will be another year older. Although, if Isabelle is like me at all, old St. Nick will always be magical to her, regardless of how grown-up she becomes. Merry Christmas everyone.

No comments: