Monday, August 4, 2008

Migraines, Milligrams, and Monsters, Oh My!

I suppose it would have been way too simple for my headaches to have proven to be so weak as to "give up the ghost" as easily as it appeared they did when I first began taking Topomax, right? I mean, it would hardly of made them worthy of their Jaws-like status in the headache world. So true to form they made a solid reemergence last week around the dreaded menstrual cycle (any of you squeamish men out there who can't handle talk of a woman's period just go away). And while some people say taking an over the counter medication on top of the Topomax can sufficiently quell their pain, no such luck was found for me. After being blessed with a beautiful (fantastic, wonderful, gorgeous, great, blissful, near idyllic) brain time this past month, I confess I was rather disheartened to find myself this past Thursday clutching my head in the kitchen while tears streamed down my face, trying to hold it together yet again. Damn.

However, we are making progress, I remind myself. After putting in a call to my doctor we have decided to up the milligrams of the Topomax and see if a higher dose can better attack the significantly more evil and diabolical headaches that like to plague me around that time of the month. And, of course now that I am beyond my monthly cycle I find I am once again pain free and feeling grand so all in all it is good. I mean, even if I have to suck it up and have some bad head pain every week and a half to two weeks out of a month it is way better then having it virtually every day like I was before. Of course, upping the milligrams means I am feeling all the side effects again and more strongly, some of which can be annoying, the tiredness, the tingling and numbness in the extremities, the way you can over heat more easily, but frankly all of it is nothing if it means my head does not hurt.

No, mostly, last week as I was dealing with my monster headaches again after having a blessed hiatus from them, I was thinking how awful it was that anyone has to ever suffer from chronic pain. That and of the stupid commercials for Imitrex they had out on television maybe two years ago which featured some little cartoon monster which was supposed to be your migraine, cavorting around the screen with a little devilish grin on his face and jumping on the "migraine sufferer's" head, while she grimaced and held her hand to her temple. I remember thinking then that the person who made that commercial had never personally had a migraine because I got news for ya....... my headaches are not some cutesy, cartooney character that could double as an illustration in a Mercer Mayer kids book like "There's a Nightmare in my Closet." No, mine are more like something out of the mind of Stephen King like the slouchy, creepy thing in "Lisey's Story" perhaps. Something that most likely would have an NC 17 rating attached to it and would not be allowed into a commercial. Anyways...... I suppose it helps me to occupy my mind with useless thoughts such as this to help keep the pain at bay. Laughter is the best medicine, right? Well, that and Topomax, just in more milligrams!

No comments: