Saturday, April 26, 2008

Insomnia

So, here it is almost 12:30 at night, and I am in the middle of one of my little no sleep trips. I got sick of laying in bed for over the last hour and thought I might as well get up and do ..... something. The rain is falling on the roof, and we are currently blanketed in a fog so thick that combined with the dark it feels like our house is the only one in the world.

At the same time I take comfort in the fact that I am certainly not the only one who is suffering from a bout of insomnia and perhaps also typing away on their computer or surfing the Internet in a vain attempt to bring their mind into a more restful mode. I remember thinking something similar when I was nursing Isabelle as a baby. Sitting in her room, rocking her against me with the night light giving off its soft glow, I would imagine other mothers, rocking in a chair, bleary-eyed, stroking their babies' heads as they nursed. It is a nice thought, don't you think?

I have never slept well. Even when I was young. My mother never realized that I got up and used the bathroom at least once every night until she went camping with me for Girl Scouts. There we were, tromping out of the platform tent to take a walk in the dark down to the outhouse, flashlights bobbing on the trail. Of course, my small bladder is only a part of the problem. I hear everything it seems and as previously mentioned I frequently cannot shut off my mind. I am sure I could be a candidate for a sleep clinic, but of course, I think those are strange. I mean, don't they hook you up to a bunch of electrodes, lay you flat on your back and watch you rest in a bed you have never slept in before? Given the environment what are the odds of you sleeping well?!

YAWN. I suppose I should go and try again. I am tired, and I do want to sleep. (of course, I was chronically tired for two years during my Masters' program, and I still did not sleep, so I guess it doesn't matter). I am sure I will look at this post tomorrow and determine it makes no sense and possesses nothing of quality (as opposed to my other posts. Ha, ha) but I can at least offer up the excuse that I am sleep deprived.

Besides I am not so tired that I cannot write GO RED WINGS!

No comments: