Saturday, April 5, 2008

To the Two I Lost

I am not one to hang on to the past, and for the most part I think it does not help us to do so. However, some experiences (good or bad) have a way of sticking with you. This month has a tendency to bring a difficult time in my life back to mind, and I have learned it is easier to acknowledge it and move on rather then pretend I don't remember. The truth is I still do even after four years. In this case, though I believe it is good for me to recall how sad I was then because it only serves to remind me how incredibly blessed and happy I am now with my beautiful daughter and family. What follows is a poem I wrote after suffering my second miscarriage in April of 2004.


I never got to know you, I never knew your name.
In fact, you were more of a dream, one whose truth never came.
I will think of you forever, for reminders never cease.
You were one possible future from which I did not want release.

But some choices are not our own, nor for us to understand.
So, I will continue to trust in God, and strive to touch his hand.
A part of me will always miss you, as something I cannot erase,
Because I will always see the possibility of your smile in every child's face.



No comments: