Saturday, May 3, 2008

Feeling Frazzled

Some days I feel like the proverbial chicken running around with its head cut off. Lately, I cannot seem to keep everything straight. This morning I just realized Mother's Day is next weekend. Normally I am completely prepared with cards and gifts by now, and instead I find myself going "Sh**! because it totally slipped my mind.

In case, you didn't know I like to be ahead of the game. I like to think of myself as responsible, but I am sure it comes across more like anal and over-structured. Oh well, at thirty-two years of age I do not think we are changing me at this point, so everyone will just have to deal with it!

I think I am forgetful at the moment because we are in the process of trying to sell our house and look for a new one. The whole saga of even thinking about moving everything we have accumulated in the last five to six years is intimidating. Not to mention I am nervous about how successful we will be in selling given the state of the housing market lately. Suddenly all the flaws in my house seem glaring and harsh. Clay and I have been busting our butts for the last couple of weeks trying to fix some of the little chores we have ignored. (He just finally finished the trim work around the crawl space door. The job took him a total of 30 minutes never mind that I have been asking him to do that for going on six years!!)

I also have been trying to make the house not look quite as full of our stuff as it is. That involves more purging of items (which I am good at) and trying to make closets appear spacious and neat (this is a bit harder). Plus, that whole anal thing comes into play as I found myself two days ago systematically going through my closet and hanging everything in it with white hangers because, gee, that looks nicer. (I know. FREAK) Now I will admit that it got worse, as I proceeded to put all the black hangers in the guest room closet for all of Clay's suits and Polo's, and burgundy hangers in Isabelle's closet, and all the blue shades in the front closet. It isn't like I have too much time on my hands either, but all the same I got bogged down in making it perfect (at least in my mind). I am sure a shrink could have a field day with me. I comfort myself with the thought that we all have our little idiosyncrasies, and in the scheme of things mine are not too terrible. Although at the rate I am going I might be scrubbing my floor with an old toothbrush by the time I am sixty. (Maybe I was a maid in a past life.)

Anyway, all of the house nerves combined with Isabelle's ever increasing level of energy (which will explode into tantrums, whining and all out disobedience if not given ample exercise) has me feeling more scattered than normal. But, then again, if this is the worst I have to complain about then I ought to just be quiet, right?


P.S. For those of you not keeping track: My glorious team, the Red Wings, trounced Colorado in a lovely four game sweep and are awaiting the next round against either Dallas or San Jose, both of which will be formidable teams. Closer to Lord Stanley we go!

No comments: