Wednesday, June 18, 2008

All things Isabelle

Last Friday Clay and I took our daughter to Green Bay for a surprise. She has been obsessed with Thomas the Train for the past two years, so when the "Day out with Thomas" program came to the National Railroad Museum, I knew we had to take her. It was toddler insanity! Picture about a gazillion 2-5 year olds trailing around with their parents, strollers, cameras, and Thomas t-shirts, waiting for their chance to meet Thomas. Isabelle got to go on a twenty-five minute train ride with Thomas at the head of the train. We paused for photo ops with a giant Lego Thomas, jumped inside a castle trampoline for an eternity, saw Sir Topham Hatt himself (you would have to know the Thomas the Train books to have any clue who he is) and toured the railroad museum, climbing in and out of a number of engines, passenger cars and the largest train I have ever seen, named "Big Boy." Isabelle also entertained a roomful of people with an impromptu dance on a stage to music piped through the speakers in between the children's band that was actually performing. In the days since our trip she has talked continually about her ride on Thomas, and wants to wear her new "I spent the day with Thomas t-shirt" everyday. Overall, I think it is safe to say she loved her surprise, and it was a great way to finish up celebrating her birthday.

Her birthday party the Sunday before our trip to see Thomas was also very much enjoyed. She loved her presents (I have been chasing her on her new bike everyday) but mostly she loved playing with her cousins. It is hard to believe she is now three years old and truly no longer a baby, but instead a little girl. The time has flown, but I find this age a lot of fun, although exhausting! It is an amazing experience to watch the tiny being you created develop into a little soul with her own personality, sense of humor, and crazy quirks. I see glimpses now of the woman she will one day become, and I mentally tell myself to log these moments away in a safe place as they are going to be the memories I cherish most. I am so thankful for the time I have with Isabelle. Yes, it is hard sometimes (to the point where I swear I am going to need a padded cell, or at the very least several stiff drinks), but she fills my heart in a way that nothing else in this world ever has. So, looking back on the last week, I am just feeling fortunate .... fortunate for the time I can spend, the family I have, and the fact that we can give Isabelle the kind of safe and happy childhood that every child should be blessed with.

No comments: