Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Why God, Why?

I should have known it was not going to be our night. The second Kronwall accidentally cleared the puck into our own net, I should have known that our hockey luck was absent yesterday. It was apparent that Fleury was standing on his head and stopping everything, but when we battled back and tied it and then took the lead, I thought surely the hockey gods would favor us now. I felt like someone had just told me my dog died when the Penguins somehow scored with 30-some seconds left in regulation. How could this be? Yet, I still held out hope, watching the Wings out skate, out shoot, out play the Penguins through two and a half overtimes, despite two very questionable interference calls, and even when the death knell was delivered by awarding a four minute penalty to an accidental high stick that yes, drew blood, but only because the player already had a previous cut in the same place. It was like a perfect storm created for the sole purpose of denying the Red Wings what should be rightfully theirs.

We deserve this Cup. We are the superior team in every sense of the word. We have behaved the right way, worked hard, continued to be a classy hockey team regardless of the fact that the Penguins have whined, complained, and delivered cheap shots to get where they are. We are a true team, with everyone contributing and not just one or two players carrying the load. I will tip my hat to Fleury who single-handedly kept his team in the playoffs last night, but frankly I find it hard to give credit to the rest of their team as it is more a matter of us beating ourselves then the Penguins actually beating us. I would challenge anyone to watch Game 3 and and Game 5 over and tell me otherwise.

Now, I am left feeling somewhat heart sick. I still firmly believe that if we play how we are capable we will prevail, but I have seen the better team not win the Cup before, and it feels as if the fates are conspiring against us. On to Game Six.

No comments: